Rules and regulations
- Use of personal watercraft, (such as Sea Doos, Jet Skis etc.) or water skiing equipment is not permitted on any water bodies.
- Preventing invasive mussels from entering Alberta waterways is a priority. If they arrive, removal is next to impossible. Clean, drain and dry your watercraft. More information.
- Boats that have been in waters outside Alberta or British Columbia in the last 30 days must undergo a provincial watercraft inspection. Call 1-855-336-BOAT (2628) for further information on obtaining a boat inspection.
- Banff's lakes are seldom above 10°C (50° F). A capsize into these waters could result in hypothermia. Read up on hypothermia before you set out.
- For your safety, leave word of your plans and when you plan to return.
What to bring
It may be a warm day when you start out, but mountain weather can change quickly. Take along wet weather gear to keep you dry, warm and protect you from the wind. Also carry a complete change of clothing in case you fall in.