E-bikes, with the exception of pedal assist E-bikes, are not permitted on trails in Banff National Park.
Parks Canada defines pedal assist E-bikes as follows:
- Steered with handlebars and equipped with pedals,
- Designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,
- Capable of being propelled by muscular power only,
- Equipped with one or more electric motors which, singly or in combination:
- have a total power output rating of 500 W or less,
- immediately cease power assistance when the muscular power ceases, and
- are incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground.
- Equipped with a safety mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3km/h
For more information on where pedal assist E-Bikes are permitted, please refer to the Restricted Activity Order.
Pedal assist E-Bikes are permitted on the following trails:
|Banff Legacy Trail||29 km one way|
|Sundance Trail||3.7 km one way|
|Fenland Trail||2.1 km loop|
|Tunnel Campground Loop||6.4 km loop|
|Cascade Ponds - Bankhead||2.7 km one way|
|Banff Avenue Trail||3.3 km one way|
|Brewster Creek||8.5 km one way|
|Redearth||10 km one way|
|Surprise Corner to Hoodoos||4.8 km one way|
|Tunnel Bench Loop||9.7 km loop|
|Tunnel Technical Trails||2.7 km loop|
|The Toe||7.9 km one way|