The Commissioner’s Residence, located on Front Street beside St. Paul's Anglican Church, will be closed to the public during the 2019 season as we replace the sprinkler system throughout the building. This infrastructure upgrade will ensure the continued protection of this historic building.
A huge influx of stampeders raced to the Klondike after gold was discovered in 1896, leading the Government of Canada to create the Yukon Territory in 1898 and send a commissioner to Dawson City to take charge. Built in 1901 by Thomas Fuller, the Commissioner's Residence represents the strong government presence that followed the Gold Rush, and showed the world that Dawson City was here to stay.
Six commissioners lived in the residence from 1901 to 1916. The best known was George Black, who with his wife Martha, lived in the residence from 1912 to 1916. The Blacks were favorites among locals because they were considered real “Sourdoughs”, having trekked over the Chillkoot Trail and survived many harsh Yukon winters.
Find out more about the Commissioner of the Yukon.