Cannabis | Required identification | Procedures for Chilkoot hikers | Questions

Notice: Cannabis

Despite the fact that cannabis (marijuana) is legal and regulated in Canada, it remains illegal to take cannabis across Canada's national borders, whether you are entering or leaving Canada. For more information, consult cannabis (marijuana) legalization.

Required identification

The Chilkoot Trail crosses the international boundary between the United States and Canada. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires the following documents for entry into the United States by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda:

US/Canadian Citizens: US Passport Card, Enhanced Driver's License, US or Canadian Passport, or a Trusted Traveler Program card issued by US Customs and Border Protection.

Canadian Landed Immigrants: Passport from their native country with U.S. Visa, if required.

US Resident Aliens: Permanent Resident Card

Other Nationalities: Passport (with Canadian and/or U.S. Visas, if required)

Children: US and Canadian citizens under the age of 16, or under the age of 19 if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group, may present a Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Canadian Citizenship Card, or a Naturalization Certificate in lieu of a Passport. Birth Certificates can be an original, photocopy, or certified copy. In addition:

  • If accompanied by only one parent: notarized letter of authorization from absent parent.

  • If neither parent is present: letter of authorization from parent/legal guardian.

Border crossing procedures for Chilkoot Trail hikers

Northbound hikers

Hikers traveling from the US into Canada must register at the Trail Center prior to starting their hike. All hikers must be present and have proper documentation for crossing the border. Fall hikers can register at the National Park Service Visitor Centre in Skagway (on Broadway between 1st and 2nd Avenues).

All persons utilizing the Chilkoot Trail to enter Canada must report in person, unless otherwise specified, to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) immediately upon completion of their hike. The following options are available for reporting:

Fraser port of entry
Km 36.5 - South Klondike Highway
Fraser, British Columbia

Hours of operation:
Monday to Sunday        08:00 - Midnight

Whitehorse inland office

Suite 110 - 300 Main Street
Whitehorse, Yukon

Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday          08:30 - 16:30

Outside hours of operation:        1-867-821-4111

Southbound hikers

Canadian and US citizens, and US resident aliens hiking from Canada into the US can register with Parks Canada in Whitehorse (Suite 205-300 Main St). These hikers must report to US Customs and Border Protection at the Skagway Port of Entry (mile 6.8 on the South Klondike Highway) after completing their hike.

All others must register directly with US Customs and Border Protection at the Skagway Port of Entry (mile 6.8 on the South Klondike Highway) prior to commencing their hike. When registering, all party members must be present and have appropriate identification/documentation with them.


Inquiries about Customs and Immigration requirements should be directed to the appropriate Canadian and/or US officials.

Canada Border Services Agency
Whitehorse: 1-867-667-3943

US Customs and Border Protection
Skagway Port of Entry: 1-907-983-3144 or 1-907-983-2325