It's berry season
Bear encounters are likely
Berry bushes border trails, roads and campgrounds. Black and grizzly bears are feeding on berries right now.
It is easy to surprise a bear that is focused on feeding. To reduce your risk:
- Make noise while on trails
- Travel in tight groups
- Trail running and cycling place you at much higher risk. Travel very slowly. Do not wear earbuds.
- Carry bear spray, ensure it is accessible,and know how to use it.
- Watch for fresh bear signs such as scat. Be especially careful near berry patches.
- If you see a bear, stay calm, back away slowly and leave the area. Never run.
If you see a bear, please report it to park staff:
For wildlife emergencies, please call Parks Dispatch: