COVID-19 and your visit to Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site
Openings and services differ across the country. Please check the Parks Canada national information portal dedicated to COVID-19 for regular updates.
Important information about your visit to Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site
Large group reservations for 2021
Please note, reservations for large groups for the 2021 season will be delayed until later in the fall. Continue to check back for the opening date, or call us at 1-800-661-0486 or 1-867-667-3910 for more information.
Thank you for your patience.
The Canadian side of the Chilkoot Trail is CLOSED for the 2020 hiking season
By order of the superintendent, all access to Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site of Canada, including the Log Cabin Parking Lot, outhouses, backcountry areas, and the rest of the National Historic Site is strictly prohibited until further notice. No person shall enter or engage in any activity in Chilkoot Trail National Historic Site.
All Chilkoot Trail reservations for the 2020 season will be cancelled. This includes departures between June 1 and September 13, 2020 (inclusive):
- All hikes (including those starting in Dyea, Bennett or the Notch) will be cancelled.
- Reservation holders will receive a call from Parks Canada to process a full refund.
- Please be patient as we make our way through reservations in a chronological order.
We recognize the inconveniences this may pose. We look forward to answering any questions you have when we connect with you on the phone. Thank you once again.
The American side of the Chilkoot Trail is OPEN
For hikers that would like to hike the US-side only of the Chilkoot Trail:
- Anyone wanting to start a hike in Dyea must contact the Trail Centre in Skagway to register.
- This includes hikers with pre-existing reservtions because those reservations are being canceled – The USNPS is managing registration and orientation for US-side only hikes.
- No fees will be taken by USNPS, however hikers must book an itinerary with USNPS to help manage campsite capacity and to participate in a mandatory orientation to include any Covid-19 precautions and measures needed to be taken while hiking the trail.
- The Trail Centre is staffed, however not open to the public at this time. They can be reached by phone between 8 am and 4 pm (excluding the lunch hour) 7 days a week at 907-983-9234. We encourage you to call Trail Centre for more details.
For the most up to date information, visit: