Before you leave home
- Review the Hiking information on this website.
- Get fit; do some warm-up hikes/backpacking trips.
- Carefully select and test all of your equipment; test pack your pack.
- Familiarize yourself with no trace backpacking and camping practices; and techniques for safe travel in wilderness settings and avalanche terrain.
- Ensure that you have appropriate identification/documentation for crossing the border.
Before you begin your hike
- Pick up Permits and register for Customs at the Trail Center in Skagway (520 Broadway). All hikers must be present and have proper border crossing documentation with them.
- Reserved permits can be picked up the day before, or on the day that you begin your hike. Walk-in permits are issued on a first-come first-serve basis at the Trail Center the day before or on the day that you wish to start your hike.
- Get packed and ready to go; ensure that you have everything you will need for your hike before you head out to the trailhead.
- Finalize/confirm your travel arrangements for getting to and from the trail.
- Ensure that a friend or family member has a detailed hiking/travel itinerary and ensure that they know whom to contact if you do not complete your trip within the expected time.
Trail orientations are mandatory and are scheduled at 8 am, 10 am, noon, 2 pm and 4 pm (Alaska Time) every day.
Please allow approximately 30 minutes for an orientation. All hikers must attend.
An optional 13 minute bear safety video will be shown before and after orientations and throughout the day.
We encourage drop-ins for Permits and Customs registration (about 15 minutes) to avoid line-ups before and after orientations.
Payment is by debit or credit card only.
Have a safe and enjoyable hike!