The British at Fort Chambly
© Parks Canada / Reconstitution de Charles Stadden
After the Conquest in 1760, the British moved into Fort Chambly. At the time, the 13 English colonies to the south were becoming increasingly prosperous and, with the hope of becoming independent, decided to unite forces to throw off the yoke of the British. The threat of invasion swept over Canada.
The Americans started their attack on Canada in early September, 1775. They occupied Fort Chambly over the winter of 1775-1776. In the spring, after their defeat at Quebec, the American army had to retreat back towards the south and the British once again took over the post at Chambly.
In 1812, war broke out once again between Canada and the United States. The British sent in troops and built a military complex around Fort Chambly, which included a guard house and barracks for the infantry, the artillery, the cavalry and the Board of Ordnance. During the war, up to 6000 soldiers were stationed at the fort.
When the war was over in 1814, fort activities progressively diminished. The British occupied the place sporadically and then abandoned the fort in 1860. In 1876, the military installations at Chambly were all auctioned off, except for the fort itself and the guard house.