History

With a history spanning 7,000 years, the site was a portage and encampment location used by Amerindians to avoid the rapids, a military fortification, and a canal that opened the way for commercial shipping. The site at Coteau-du-Lac represented a major point of transit for British military logistics efforts. Between 1781 and 1814, the army developed large-scale infrastructures on the site, which testify to the importance the colonial authorities attached to improving and protecting transportation and communications along the route linking Montréal and Kingston.