Conservation project schedule
Visit this 360-degree photo tour of the interior of Province House to catch a glimpse inside the building during this conservation project.
Phase 2 of the Province House conservation project is underway. The following work will take place over the summer and fall of 2019.
- RJW Stonemasons have mobilized with a number of masons on site. Repair strategies are being assessed in consultation with various specialists.
- Masons have begun repairing interior and exterior walls. The interior walls are PEI sandstone and exterior walls are Pictou sandstone from a quarry in Nova Scotia. This work will continue throughout the summer, fall and winter of 2019.
- Laser cleaning of exterior stone.
- On site mortar mixing to support operations.
- Ultimate Construction Ltd. has finished the first set of window repairs at their shop in Barry, Ontario.
- First shipment of windows and doors to arrive and be installed back at Province House this fall.
- Two windows will be restored by students from Holland College’s Heritage Retrofit Carpentry program.
- An exciting part of phase two has begun with conservation work on the north and south porticos of Province House. Priestly Demolition Inc. is going to brace each portico in preparation for repairs.
- Once the bracing is set, a computerized jacking system will lift each individual column up in order to replace the stone foundation.
- The eight columns will be lifted individually to lessen the stress on the stonework. The north and south porticos will be worked on simultaneously allowing for a more stable approach for the porticos.
- All eight stone foundations will be completed by December 2019.