Lock 40 - Thorah
Lock 40 is situated in a beautiful pastoral setting with an abundance of maple trees and shaded areas. Located away from road traffic, it is a stark contrast of peace, quiet and one of the nicest day use and overnight areas on the Waterway.
- Address: 33245 Region Road #50, Beaverton, Ontario
- Nautical chart: #2025 (more on Nautical charts)
- Kilometer marker: 289.8km (mile 180.1)
- GPS: 44°29'38.0"N 79°08'22.5"W
Facilities and services
- Overnight mooring
- Camping (not recommended)
- Potable water
- Picnic area
- Visitor information
The Balsam - Simcoe Division was constructed at a time of horse and man-power, and workers measured its length by the number of cuts of blasted limestone. Today, visitors can walk or bicycle on the private canal road between Locks 39-41, which runs along the top of earthen dams. This road is otherwise closed to vehicles, offering a quiet place for boaters to moor overnight.