Lock 26 is only a ten-minute walk to downtown Lakefield. The town is very appealing and tourist oriented, with a full range of services available. In Lakefield there is a literary connection with Susanna Moody, Catherine Parr Trail and Samuel Strickland. There is plenty of mooring space on the upper side of this lock.

Getting here
  • Address: 14 Hill Street, Lakefield, Ontario
  • Nautical chart: #2023 (more on Nautical charts)
  • Kilometer marker: 158.9 km (mile 98.7)
  • GPS: 44°25'09.9"N 78°16'10.9"W

Hours of Operation


Contact:

Navigational data
  • Lock length: 36.6 m (120 ft)
  • Lock width: 9.7 m (32 ft)
  • Average lift: 4.8 m (16 ft)
  • Max. mooring period: 2 nights

Facilities and services
History
Lakefield
Constructed: 1895-1900

Lakefield was a thriving industrial centre with numerous mills and factories powered by an existing dam. An extensive canal entrance was required on the western bank of the river above the lock buttressed by a masonry retaining wall and a swing bridge for vehicle traffic. Today, Lakefield continues to thrive while retaining its small-town charm.

Tourism information
Google Street View