Located in the Town of Hastings, this is the last lock before entering Rice Lake. The lock itself has a nice park area with tables providing a great spot for lunch or an afternoon break. There are 60 kilometres of open channel upstream to the next station at Scotts Mills.

Getting here
  • Address: 4 Bridge St. N, Hastings, Ontario
  • Nautical chart: #2021 (more on Nautical charts)
  • Kilometer marker: 82.3 km (mile 51.1)
  • GPS: 44°18'32.0"N 77°57'21.1"W

Hours of Operation


Contact:

Navigational data
  • Lock length: 46.9 m (154 ft)
  • Lock width: 9.7 m (32 ft)
  • Average lift: 2.7 m (9 ft)
  • Max. mooring period: 5 nights

Facilities and services
History
Lock 18 Hastings
Constructed: 1908-1912

The site of an early milling complex, a masonry lock was built at Crooks Rapids in 1838 for $25K. Renamed Hastings, the town had numerous industries powered by a timber dam and slide, till fires destroyed the complex. Randolph MacDonald & Company won the contract for a new concrete lock, dam and railway piers. Today, Hasting is a friendly town that is a favourite for those that like to fish.

Local tourism
Google Street View