Cutting straight through the narrow strip of land connecting Prince Edward County with the north shore of Lake Ontario, the Murray Canal is an 8 kilometre canal cut linking Lake Ontario with the Bay of Quinte. It was constructed between 1882-1889 to provide an alternative shipping route to the treacherous waters surrounding Prince Edward County. Presqu'ile Bay will lead you to the Murray Canal and its two road bridges: Brighton Road Swing Bridge and Carrying Place Swing Bridge.
Date: May 15 to October 12, 2020
*same as Trent-Severn Waterway National Historic Site
Brighton Road Swing BridgePhone number: (613) 475-1299
Carrying Place Swing BridgePhone number: (613) 392-8931
Fee collected at Brighton Road Swing Bridge.
- Vessels requiring a bridge swing: $4.90 per passage
- Seasonal: $53.90
Public washrooms and picnic tables are available at Brighton Bridge
Overhead clearance of closed bridges varies with the water level.
- Brighton Road Swing Bridge = 2.1 to 2.7 m (7 to 9 ft)
- Carrying Place Swing Bridge = 1.2 to 1.8 m (4 to 6 ft)
- Water Depth:
2.7 m (9') under normal conditions.
- Width restriction:
15.2 m (50 ft.) at both bridges.
- Overnight Mooring:
Available at both bridges for a maximum of two nights.
- VHF Radio:
Murray Canal swing bridges monitor VHF Channel 14 only during navigation season hours of operation.
- Speed limit:
There is a 10-km/h speed limit in the canal.
- Boaters should exercise caution when navigating the canal
- Winds that typically blow the length of the canal may make the handling of a boat difficult, especially when docking
United States boaters need to clear Canada Customs if they have not done so. The phone number is 1-888-226-7277.