Rosedale rustic cabin
Situated within The Kawartha Lakes Region, surrounded by a wide variety of nature and wildlife, the Trent-Severn Waterway claims some of the most beautiful lakeshore views and breathtaking scenery in Ontario. At Parks Canada, we are pleased to offer you the opportunity to experience these serene sites with an overnight stay in our rustic cabin.
Rosedale offers a very quiet setting, yet it is not far by boat or car to either Fenelon Falls or Coboconk. The rustic cabin is located across from the lockstation on Dewey’s Island Nature Reserve – a nature-lover’s dream. Relax and enjoy the peace and quiet, watch the boats go by or take advantage of nearby parkland, picnic areas and opportunities for paddling.
- $91.98/night (September 8 to October 11, 2020)
- Staff hours:
Spring and Summer
Lock Staff will be present between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm for anticipated arrivals during the spring and summer season
Fall (after Labour Day)
Please phone 1-705-887-3120 between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm to obtain check-in instructions
- After hours registration:
- If you plan on arriving outside of operational hours, please call the lockstations directly at 1-705-887-3120 between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm to obtain check-in instructions, plus information on washroom access and purchasing wood for a campfire
- Check-in time:
- 3:00 pm
- Early check-ins may be available. Visitors are encouraged to call the lock station for early check-in times
- Lockstation hours of operations are limited. Plan your arrivals in advance
- Check-out time:
- Before 11:00 am
- Quiet hours:
- 10:00 pm - 7:00 am
- Max. length of stay:
- No maximum
- Max. persons per accommodation:
- Up to 5 people
- Max. vehicles per accommodation:
- No maximum
- Extra camping units allowed beside the accommodation:
- No additional camping units permitted
- Generator policy:
- No Generators provided. Use of generators is limited to 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Minimum age policy:
- A minimum of one adult (19 years of age or older) per cabin is required
- Internet/Wi-Fi access:
- Wi-Fi is not available at this section of the Trent-Severn Waterway
- Mobile/Cell reception:
Rules that apply to the other camping and oTENTik sites along the Trent-Severn Waterway also apply to this Parks Canada rustic cabin site. Before you visit, please review all Visitor Guidelines.
Only guide dogs or support animals are allowed inside the cabin. Pets in the park must be leashed at all times.
CookingFor safety reasons, cooking is NOT allowed inside the cabin. Please use the outdoor propane bbqs or firepits provided.
CleaningThe cabin must be cleaned prior to departure. Please use the broom and dustpan provided.
Garbage and recycling
If you accumulate any garbage or recycling during your stay, please use the bins located at the lockstation.
Please store food, drinks, and scented products securely in the metal storage bins supplied on your cabin site so that wildlife does not seek access to your cabin. Please do not leave any garbage or recycling in the storage boxes upon departure.
Swimming, diving and bathing are strictly prohibited in all navigation channels along the Trent-Severn Waterway. Swimming is allowed in nearby lakes.
Alcohol and cannabis
Possession and consumption of alcohol is enforced in accordance with the Ontario Liquor License Act. The act prohibits consuming or having an open container of liquor on docks, shelters and public areas. Liquor can be consumed at your rented cabin site ONLY.
Cannabis consumption is prohibited around cooking shelters and public areas, and is restricted to your campsite. Smoking is prohibited in the cabin.
Firewood can not be brought into the historic site. Firewood must be purchased within the site and is available at the lockstation.
Protect your forests from the Emerald Ash Borer
The Emerald Ash Borer is a highly destructive invasive insect which attacks and kills all species of ash. It has the capability to spread rapidly throughout trees and forests. A single piece of infected firewood can be detrimental to thousands of trees and forests.
Please note:There is no plumbing or running water in the cabin. Washrooms, potable water and sinks for dishes are available at the Rosedale lockstation.
- Comfortably sleeps 5-6 people*
- Indoor table and bench/chairs
- Solar-powered 12V light with phone charger and outlet
- Broom and dustpan
- Fire extinguisher
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
*Blankets and pillows are not provided.
- Food storage unit
- Food preparation station
- Propane BBQ and propane
- Fire pit
- Picnic table
- 2 deck chairs
- Paddle dock for canoes and kayaks
What to bring
- Bedding and pillow(s)
- Flashlight, lantern or headlamp
- Personal gear: clothing, accessories, toiletries and slippers or indoor shoes
- Personal safety items: whistle, first aid kit, sunscreen and bug repellant
- Cooking equipment
- Food and drinks, reusable water bottles, etc.
- Entertainment (i.e. binoculars, books, cards, sporting equipment, etc.)
- Other (matches or lighter, rope, etc.)
Getting here by land
- Rosedale lockstation is accessible by car or bike via Hwy 35
Getting here by water
- Lock 35 (Rosedale) is located 252.9 km up from the beginning of the Trent-Severn Waterway System and Lock 1 (Trenton).
- Find it on Chart #2025
GPS: 44 32' 12" N ~ 78 32' 44" W
- Washrooms, potable water and sinks for washing dishes available at lockstation
- Bike lock area
- Easily accessible water locations for canoes and kayaks
- Firewood and ice for sale at lockstation
There at two docks located on Dewey’s Island designated for paddling:
- 1 dock is near the oTENTik sites
- 1 dock is near the rustic cabin
There are two marinas located nearby to rent canoes, kayaks, pontoon boats, paddle boats and fishing boats.
Great fishing can be had near the dam, or on both Balsam and Cameron Lakes.
There is a 3km walking trail on Dewey’s Island Nature Reserve where you can explore the remains of the old dam and log shoot from the 1800s.
Balsam and Cameron Lakes have sand bars that are very popular in the summer. For the little swimmers, the public beaches at Fenelon Falls or Balsam Lake Provincial Park offer more family-friendly facilities.
The Village of Rosedale has two marinas, a small antique store, and a trading post. 10 minutes away by car are Coboconk and Fenelon Falls, each offering a variety of restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations and other amenities.
You may also like…