Tour with an expert
Want a more in-depth experience? Come and explore the extensive grounds and historic structures of the Sault Ste. Marie Canal. Join one of our knowledgeable interpreters as they guide you through the site on one of our many themed tours. Together, we will explore how this marvel of engineering evolved over the past century and highlight certain milestones and features such as the accident of 1909, the world's only remaining Emergency Swing Dam, the lock wall failure of 1987, and the role Parks Canada now plays in preserving and presenting this national cultural treasure.
Dates: Available daily
Price: $5.80 per person
Tours range in length from 1 to 1.5 hours. Walking distances range from .5 km to 2 km, but can be tailored to fit your needs.
- General Site Tour: Join a knowledgeable interpreter and learn everything there is to know about the history of the first electrically operated lock in the world.
- Milkweed and Monarch Program: Discover fascinating facts about Monarch Butterflies and their favourite plant, the Common Milkweed. This program is great for families! (Available July-August)
- Island Tour: Take a walk to the rapids and learn the history of the islands and how they are significant to story of Sault Ste. Marie and the first peoples of Canada.
Walk-ins are welcome, advanced booking is required for large groups only. Please call 705-941-6205 or email email@example.com to make a booking.
- Suitable for large groups
- Suitable for small groups
- Suitable for FIT (Fully Independent Travelers)
- Motor coach parking available
- Washrooms on site
- Gift shop