Rideau Canal Concrete Rehabilitation
February 3, 2022 - Info-Work: Repair Work on Ottawa Walls at Pretoria Bridge
Parks Canada is repairing and replacing concrete walls in the downtown core of the nation’s capital between Ottawa Locks and Hartwells Locks to help protect and preserve this National Historic Site for future generations. This portion of the Rideau Canal serves as a navigable way for boaters from May to October and as a skateway for residents and visitors during the winter months.
The rehabilitation of the Rideau Canal walls in downtown Ottawa is part of the Government of Canada’s unprecedented $3 billion investment to support infrastructure work to heritage, visitor, waterway, and highway assets located within national historic sites, national parks, and national marine conservation areas across Canada.
In May 2016, the Government of Canada announced an additional $10.4M in funding for projects on the Rideau Canal Walls in downtown Ottawa, bringing the overall investment to an estimated $16M over five years for this particular project.
Ottawa Canal Walls Replacement – Echo Drive section
In October 2018, work began on the replacement of 262 metres of Ottawa canal walls along Echo Drive.
- Reconstruction of the wall and the multi-use pathway
- Safety features such as the railings will also be replaced
Concrete Rehabilitation on Rideau Canal Walls in Downtown Ottawa:
The five-year project to rehabilitate the concrete walls along the Rideau Canal National Historic Site, in Ottawa’s downtown area, began in the winter of 2015.
- Phase 1:
Spring 2016 (Completed)
This phase included rehabilitating a 500-meter length of the canal wall on the Queen Elizabeth Driveway side near the Bronson Bridge. Work included chipping away the damaged concrete and re-forming and placing new concrete to resurface the walls. Concurrently, work was undertaken to repair the Rideau Canal Western Pathway in this area.
- Phase 2:
Spring 2017 (Completed)
This phase included repairing approximately 500 meters of walls between the Bank St bridge and Pig Island on the East side of the Rideau Canal. This work included chipping away damaged concrete and refacing the walls with new concrete as well as the replacement of light posts, handrails, and repairs to the Rideau Canal Eastern Pathway
- May 3, 2021 - Info-Work: Rideau Canal Walls (Echo Drive)
- April 24, 2020 - Info-Work: Colonel By Drive – Intermittent Lane and Pathway Restrictions
- July 29, 2019- Community Update: Repairs for Clegg Street section out to tender
- July 24, 2019- Community Update: Construction Ongoing
- March 14, 2019- Community Update: Construction Update
- December 21, 2018- Community Update: Canal Wall Demolition to Begin in the New Year
- October 09, 2018- Community Update: Wall Replacement to Begin – Detour Required
- August 03, 2018- Community Update: Projects out to Tender
- May 11, 2018- Info-Work: Barge Removal from Rideau Canal in Ottawa
- May 04, 2018- Info-Work: Upcoming Investigative Work Along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa
- April 18, 2018- Info-Work: REVISED- Geotechnical Inspection on Portion of Colonel By Drive
- March 9, 2018- Info-Work: Rideau Canal Wall Inspections Continue in Downtown Ottawa - Eastern Pathway Detour in Effect
- January 18, 2018- Info-Work: Temporary Pedestrian Detours along Rideau Canal Eastern Pathway in Downtown Ottawa
- June 7, 2017 - Info-Work: Overnight Road Closure Required on Colonel By Drive
- June 2, 2017 - Community Update: Work Nearing Completion
- April 4, 2017 - Info-Work: Repairs to Rideau Canal Walls in Downtown Ottawa
- February 28, 2017 - Community Update: Update on Ongoing Work
- January 13, 2017 - Info-Work: Update: Repairs to Rideau Canal Walls in Downtown Ottawa
- November 8, 2016 - Infrastructure rehabilitation work on the Rideau Canal walls in downtown Ottawa
- November 4, 2016 - Info-Work: Canal Wall Rehabilitation - Rideau Canal Walls in Downtown Ottawa