Lowering of water levels - End of 2019 Season Operations
Issued: September 19, 2019
Lowering of water levels on the Rideau Canal
Parks Canada is advising the public that water levels on the Rideau Canal system will be lowered immediately following the end of the navigation season on October 14, 2019.
From mid-October until mid-November, water levels in the Rideau Canal system, between the Ottawa Locks and Detached Lock in Smiths Falls, will be decreased to winter levels by adjusting dams and spillways in the Lower Rideau Watershed. Details are as follows:
- Water levels will be decreased in the sections below Hog's Back, including Dow's Lake, starting on Monday, October 14, 2019, at 5:00 pm. Water levels will remain at their lowest until mid-November, when the water level will be raised approximately one metre between Hartwells and Ottawa lockstations to prepare for the Skateway
- Water levels will be lowered between Hog's Back to Black Rapids starting on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
- Water levels will be lowered between Long Island to Black Rapids starting on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
- Water levels will be lowered between Burritt's Rapids to Long Island starting on Friday, November 1, 2019
- Water levels will be lowered between Clowes to Merrickville starting on Friday, November 1, 2019
Residents and marinas are advised to take appropriate timely action to safeguard boats and docks.
Valerie de Winter
Communications and Media Relations Officer