Rideau Canal 2022 Navigation Season
Issued: May 19, 2022
Smiths Falls, Ontario, May 19, 2022 – Parks Canada is ready to welcome visitors to the Rideau Canal, which is scheduled to open for navigation on Friday, May 20, 2022 at 9 a.m.
As part of Parks Canada’s ongoing effort to limit the spread of COVID-19 and in the interests of the health and safety of all Canadians, visitors, and Parks Canada team members, all visitors (boaters and land-based) are being asked to adhere to the following while visiting our sites:
- Lockage: Boaters are expected to be in full care and control of their vessels and to maintain 2 metres distance from staff and other boaters at all times during lockage. Boaters requiring assistance with lockage must identify their concerns to lockstaff prior to entering the chamber. The appropriate type and level of assistance to be provided will be determined by lockstaff.
- Mask Encouraged for Service: Mask use is encouraged for visitors in situations where they will be within 2 metres of Parks Canada team members or other visitors, including if they require assistance when locking through. Parks Canada staff may elect to wear masks or use boat hooks and other means to try and maintain adequate social distance. Masks are also encouraged for the public’s use of washrooms at lock stations and during sales transactions. At several lock stations, temporary washroom facilities will be in place for use by the public.
- Maintain Social Distancing: Visitors are encouraged to respect the safety of others at all times by maintaining their distance from other visitors and Parks Canada team members. Please respect the roped-off areas on the lock walls that provide a safe working space for our staff.
- Use Cashless Payment: For the purchase of permits, please use cashless payment whenever possible.
- Share the Waterway: There are many new boaters on the waterway. Enjoy your experience on the waterway but also please always be cautious, courteous and safe.
Parks Canada’s plans for the 2022 Navigation Season are subject to change on short notice as the situation with COVID-19 evolves in order to remain consistent with public health measures. Parks Canada will communicate promptly should there be any change to the 2022 Navigation Season plans. Please follow us on social media for the latest information.
Boaters wishing additional information to aid with trip planning can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the most up-to-date information regarding our facilities and services, please visit us online at www.pc.gc.ca/rideau or follow us on social media @RideauCanalNHS