Rideau Canal Visitor CentreHoused in a 19th century stone mill, the Rideau Canal Visitor Centre is the flagship interpretation centre for the historic Rideau Canal system - a National Historic Site of Canada, a designated Canadian Heritage River, and a UNESCO World Heritage destination.
Near the Visitor Information Centre, you’ll find the impressive modern hydraulic system at the Smiths Falls Combined Locks as well as the original 3-lift manual system built by Lt. Col. By in 1829.
May 18 to October 8, 2018
Open daily, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
The centre features:
- Three floors of exhibits bringing to life the history of the canal – its construction from 1826-1831, its role throughout history, as well as the distinct lifestyle associated with the Rideau Waterway.
- A 15 minute video presentation.
- Trip planning assistance.
- Children’s area and activities.
- Rideau Xplorers program and Club Parka
- Enhanced programming.
- Group tours. To book a group, contact (613) 283-5170.
FeesDetailed fees list
LocationRideau Canal National Historic Site, Parks Canada
Headquarters & Visitor Information Centre
34 Beckwith Street South, Smiths Falls, ON K7A 2A8
Tel: (613) 283-5170
Toll Free: 1 (888) 773-8888
Facilities and services
- Wheelchair accessible
- Auditorium (available for rental)
- Bus parking, please call ahead.
Rideau Canal Headquarters
HoursOpen Year-Long Monday to Friday 8:30 AM-4:30 PM by appointment only.
- Special event permitting
- Shoreline and In-Water Works Consultation/Permitting
- Purchase of Boat Passes.