COVID-19 and your visit to Fort George National Historic Site
Openings and services differ across the country. Please check the Parks Canada national information portal dedicated to COVID-19 for regular updates.
Important information about your visit to Fort George National Historic Site
Fort George National Historic Site is open on weekends from 12 pm to 4 pm. We will communicate changes on what is open or available and what is closed or suspended on this webpage and on our Facebook page.
Note: infrastructure projects at Fort George, Fort Mississauga, and the Junior Commissariat Officer’s Quarters are proceeding as per their established schedule. Visitors must respect all signage and exercise caution relating to these sites and their construction zones.
What’s open (updated September 8, 2020)
Visitor Reception Centre (12 pm to 4 pm, weekends only):
- Reception desk with Parks Canada staff.
- Gift shop (select Parks Canada merchandise will be for sale).
Note: masks are required to be worn inside the Visitor Centre.
Washrooms (12 pm to 4 pm, weekends only):
- Public Washroom Building outside entrance to the fort.
Note: masks are required to be worn inside the washrooms.
Heritage buildings (12 pm to 4 pm, weekends only):
- The Cottage (can be viewed from outside).
- Blockhouse #2 (Costumed interpreters in building).
- Artificers’ Shop.
- Officers’ Kitchen.
- Officers’ Quarters (Costumed interpreters in building).
- Guardhouse (can be viewed from outside.
Note: masks are required to be worn inside the heritage buildings.
Musket Demonstrations (12 pm to 4 pm, weekends only):
- By costumed interpreters, weather dependent.
Featured Presentations (12 pm to 4 pm, weekends only):
- By costumed interpreters in the Officers’ Quarters front yard, weather dependent
Private booked tours (11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm, and 3 pm, only on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays):
Starting Wednesday, September 16.
- Call 905-468-6614 to register a space on the tour. It is recommended that you book a week in advance and group sizes are up to 9 people max.
- Cost: $11.90 Adult; $10.20 Senior; $3.90 Youth.
- All Parking lots, including metered parking at Fort George.
What’s closed (updated September 8, 2020)
- Public Washroom Building outside the fort (Monday to Friday).
Visitor Reception Centre:
- Monday to Friday.
- Blockhouse #1 (will open when construction is complete).
- Tunnel to Octagonal Blockhouse.
- Powder Magazine (closed for restoration).
- Washrooms (inside the fort).
- Navy Hall.
- The Agora.
- Brock’s Monument.
- All special events and group events remain suspended
Your safety when visiting
- Visitors must respect physical distancing of 2 metres / 6.5 feet
- Visitors must respect all signage, including signage on pets
- Infrastructure projects are underway and visitors must exercise caution near these construction zones
- Leave no trace when you visit outdoor spaces – take all waste with you.
- Be extra cautious when engaging in recreational activities to avoid injury
- Respect the guidance of public health authorities to help keep our families, friends, and neighbours healthy and safe
Parks Canada is working with provincial counterparts, local municipalities, and communities to keep visitors and residents informed and safe.
For the most up to date information, visit: