Commemorating the marine heritage of the Great Lakes. On Lake Huron 35 km north of Goderich
Point Clark lighthouse was built between 1855 and 1859 to warn sailors of the shoal about three kilometres offshore. Its elegant proportions and limestone exterior are typical of the six "Imperial" towers built in the region, a lighthouse style rarely seen elsewhere in Canada.
The 87-ft. stone tower is topped by a 12-sided lantern framed in cast iron, with a domed roof. A bronze lion head at each angle of the eaves directs rainwater away from the tower.
Although acquired by Parks Canada in 1967 to commemorate the vital role of lighthouses in navigation on the Great Lakes, it still serves its primary function - an aid to navigation. The lightkeeper's dwelling, built at the same time as the lighthouse, is now operated as a museum by the Municipality of Huron-Kinloss.