COVID-19 and your visit to the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site
Openings and services differ across the country. Please check the Parks Canada national information portal dedicated to COVID-19 for regular updates.
Important information about your visit to the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site
Parks Canada is working with Destination Cape Breton Association, Tourism Nova Scotia and other partners to keep visitors informed and safe.
Our national historic sites in Cape Breton and Canso will gradually resume operations with select visitor services available at each of our places. For the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site, this means the reconstructed site, costumed interpretation, select visitor services and select buildings will be open. A complete list is detailed in the below tabs under what’s open and what’s closed. The health and safety of our employees, our visitors, and all Canadians is of the highest priority for Parks Canada. The Agency is following the advice of public health authorities in resuming visitor access and services. Only places and activities where health and safety risks to employees and visitors can be mitigated will be available for visitation.
There will be limited services available on site this summer. We’re encouraging our visitors to plan ahead and be prepared for a different experience than they are used to or experienced when visiting Parks Canada places in the past. For the Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site, this means the reconstructed site, costumed interpretation, select visitor services and select buildings will be open. A complete list is detailed in the below tabs under what’s open and what’s closed.
Group activities and public events are suspended until further notice.
We are working in conjunction with our partners that operate within our Parks Canada places to coordinate services where possible, while adhering to health and safety measures. Some of these services may include gift shops, cafés and programming at our sites. This information will be updated, once decisions have been reached on when these services will resume.
Parks Canada is asking visitors to comply with recommendations from Nova Scotia public health authorities by wearing a mask in indoor public spaces, and by respecting recommended social distancing measures at all times.
Parks Canada will continue to re-evaluate access and services at Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site on an ongoing basis and keep visitors updated as more information becomes available. Please check back regularly for the most recent updates.
What’s open (updated July 29, 2020)
- Reconstructed site:
- Soldiers' barracks
- De la Plagne House
- De la Vallière House - Mi'kmaw Interpretation Centre
- Engineer's Residence
- Commissaire-Ordonnateur’s Residence
- De Gannes House
- Select visitor services
- Costumed interpretation
- Washroom facilities (limited access)
- Fortress Louisbourg Association café
- Ruins Walk
- Lighthouse trail
- Old Town trail
- Royal Battery trail
- Kennington Cove Road
- Simon’s Point trail
- Kennington Cove Beach
- Anson’s Cove Beach
- Kennelly’s day use area and pit privies
- Parking lots
What’s closed (updated July 29, 2020)
- Visitor centre
- All other reconstructed buildings
- Camping and diversified accommodations
- Fortress Louisbourg Association gift shop, restaurants and bakery
- Evening programs
Your safety when visiting
- Parks Canada is asking Canadians to stay home and support the national effort to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Keep a healthy space of 2 metres between you and others.
- Parks Canada is asking visitors to comply with recommendations from Nova Scotia public health authorities by wearing a mask in indoor public spaces, and by respecting recommended social distancing measures at all times.
- Be extra cautious when engaging in any activities to avoid injury and/or getting lost to help minimize the demands placed on emergency response, search and rescue teams, and on the health care system.
- Leave no trace when you visit outdoor spaces. Please take all your garbage with you and help keep these places clean.
- Abide by all travel advisories.