Another military man lived next to Robert Duhaget, and he found it convenient to live close to the citadel, for Jean-François Eurry de la Perelle (c. 1691-1747) was town major in the 1740s. De la Perelle married Françoise-Charlotte Aubert de la Chesnaye, the daughter of a Québec financier, and the two had eight children. Commanding the military administration of the fortress kept him busy. In 1745 his military duties included the painful one of negotiating the surrender of his town to the besiegers from New England and the Royal Navy.

A local carpenter built the original of de la Perelle’s tight little frame house in 1725, and the storehouse at right angles to it was added in 1734. The framing timber may well have been local, but the glass was imported from France and the board siding might easily have come from a sawmill in New England. Boston schoonermen sailed to Louisbourg to buy French West Indian rum and molasses, and the "planches de Baston" they sold in exchange cover the town. Some New Englanders got to know de la Perelle’s storehouse well in 1744 – it housed prisoners of war that summer.

Today de la Perelle's home contains an exhibit “The Sisters of Louisbourg,” about the lives of and work of the sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame who ran the only formal school in Louisbourg.


The reconstructed site
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
1 Desroches House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Dauphin Gate
- Dauphin Demi-Bastion
2 Powder Magazine
3 Barracks
4 Postern Tunnel
5 Embrasures at Lartigue
6 Lartigue House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Lime Kiln
7 Artillery Storehouse
8 Artillery Forge
9 King's Bakery Food service
- Woodlot
10 Duhaget House (Wheelchair accessible)
Garrison and Fortifications Exhibit
- Icehouse
11 De la Perelle House (Wheelchair accessible)
Congrégation de Notre-Dame Exhibit
12 De la Perelle Storehouse
13 Engineer's Residence
14 Laundry and Stables
15 Rodrigue House
16 Rodrigue Storehouse
17 De Gannes House (Wheelchair accessible)
18 Guardhouse
- King's Bastion
19 Military Chapel
20 Governor's Apartments
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
21 King's Bastion Barracks
Reconstruction, Tools of War, and Archeological Typography Exhibits
- King's Garden
22 McLennan Centre (Wheelchair accessible) (Wifi available)
Virtual Reality Experience
23 De la Plagne (Wheelchair accessible) (Information)
24 De la Vallière House
Mi'kmaw Interpretive Centre
25 De la Vallière Storehouse
26 De la Vallière Storehouse II
- Fizel and Loppinot Properties
- Dugas House
27 Carrerot House
Building Techniques Exhibit
28 Benoist House (Wheelchair accessible) (Gift shop)
29 L'Épée Royale Café (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
30 King's Storehouse
31 Hôtel de la Marine (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
32 Grandchamp House (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Frédéric Gate
- Carcan
33 Grandchamp Inn (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Destouches House
34 Ordonnateur's Residence (Wheelchair accessible)
Recollecting Lives Exhibit & Harbour Gallery
35 Bigot Storehouse
36 Stables
- Louisbourg Cross
37 Marie Marguerite Rose plaque
- Eastward along the Quay
- Ruins Walk