The property of garrison officer Robert Tarride Duhaget (c. 1702 - 1757) introduces the way most of Louisbourg’s town lots were laid out. There were few seigneuries in the colony. Landholding was freeholding, and real estate traded freely, largely exempt from taxation. In the town, most lots resembled Duhaget’s — regular in shape, and separated from neighbours and the street by high post fences. Inside the fences, a house often shared its lot with outbuildings and a kitchen garden.

Born in the south of France, Duhaget came to Louisbourg as a young officer and progressed steadily through postings around the colony. The house he built here in 1737 was a frame structure with beveled board siding - one of the largest in Louisbourg. Duhaget may have foreseen a big family from his marriage of that year to Marguerite Rousseau de Villejouin, but the marriage proved childless, and soon much of the house was rented as lodging and offices. Duhaget rose to senior rank, but his health failed in 1757. He returned to France to “take the waters” and died there soon afterwards.

“Louisbourg as a fortress” is the exhibit on the ground floor of the Duhaget house, and there is a comfortable theme lounge upstairs.

Icehouse

The Icehouse

This inverted cone topped with the royal fleur de lis was a luxury and a little piece of practical science. It is an icehouse, complete with tightly insulated roof, north-facing door (never to be opened in the heat of the day), and a deep pit to he packed with layers of ice and straw. It was a sensible place to hang meat and store perishables, and perhaps the governor scored a little coup by serving iced drinks and frozen desserts on August afternoons.


The reconstructed site
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
1 Desroches House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Dauphin Gate
- Dauphin Demi-Bastion
2 Powder Magazine
3 Barracks
4 Postern Tunnel
5 Embrasures at Lartigue
6 Lartigue House (Wheelchair accessible)
- Lime Kiln
7 Artillery Storehouse
8 Artillery Forge
9 King's Bakery Food service
- Woodlot
10 Duhaget House (Wheelchair accessible)
Garrison and Fortifications Exhibit
- Icehouse
11 De la Perelle House (Wheelchair accessible)
Congrégation de Notre-Dame Exhibit
12 De la Perelle Storehouse
13 Engineer's Residence
14 Laundry and Stables
15 Rodrigue House
16 Rodrigue Storehouse
17 De Gannes House (Wheelchair accessible)
18 Guardhouse
- King's Bastion
19 Military Chapel
20 Governor's Apartments
Fortress of Louisbourg - Reconstructed buildings
On the map Building name
21 King's Bastion Barracks
Reconstruction, Tools of War, and Archeological Typography Exhibits
- King's Garden
22 McLennan Centre (Wheelchair accessible) (Wifi available)
Virtual Reality Experience
23 De la Plagne (Wheelchair accessible) (Information)
24 De la Vallière House
Mi'kmaw Interpretive Centre
25 De la Vallière Storehouse
26 De la Vallière Storehouse II
- Fizel and Loppinot Properties
- Dugas House
27 Carrerot House
Building Techniques Exhibit
28 Benoist House (Wheelchair accessible) (Gift shop)
29 L'Épée Royale Café (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
30 King's Storehouse
31 Hôtel de la Marine (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
32 Grandchamp House (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Frédéric Gate
- Carcan
33 Grandchamp Inn (Wheelchair accessible) Food service
- Destouches House
34 Ordonnateur's Residence (Wheelchair accessible)
Recollecting Lives Exhibit & Harbour Gallery
35 Bigot Storehouse
36 Stables
- Louisbourg Cross
37 Marie Marguerite Rose plaque
- Eastward along the Quay
- Ruins Walk