Soldier for a day
A Canadian Signature Experience
Leave Your Mark on History! Experience being a soldier at Halifax Citadel. Get fitted for your uniform and kilt. March to the parade square to fall in line, practice drills, and learn how to fire your rifle or play a drum.
Every day from May to October*
*except a few special-event days - contact us for details (see "Reservations)
Duration: 3 hours
- 10 am to 1 pm
- 2 pm to 5 pm
Registration, a minimum of 48 hours in advance, is required
Fees (HST is extra):
- Adults (18+) $199
- Children (8-15) $175
- Couple/Group of 2 $250
- Family Group of 3 $275
- Family Group of 4 $300
DetailsWhy just be told about what being part of the 78th Highlanders was like when you can actually experience it? Thousands of British soldiers served at Halifax Citadel between 1749 and 1906 – now it’s your turn to impress. Ready to enlist?
First, you’re off to the tailor to be fitted for your uniform, kilt and all. Once you look the part you’ll march to the parade square to fall in line, practice drills and learn how to fire your rifle. Afterward, you’ll return from your sentry post to the mess hall for light refreshments with your fellow soldiers.
This unique experience - part of the Canadian Tourism Commission’s Signature Experience Collection – offers an authentic, unforgettable 3-hour long immersion into the life of a 19th century soldier. You can enjoy it on your own, with a friend or as a family.
- Reproduction English shilling from 1869 and reproduction enlistment papers
- Refreshment consisting of tea or lemonade and a scone
- Opportunity to have photographs taken throughout experience
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By telephone: The Halifax Citadel Orderly Room at 902-426-1990
- Registration, a minimum of 48 hours in advance, is required.
- The Halifax Citadel Orderly Room is open Monday-Friday from 9 am-5 pm.
- Maximum of four participants per session.
- Only participants aged 16 years and over can fire a rifle; younger participants, aged 8-15, will learn to play the British Army brass shell field drum.
- Available in English and French
- Suitable for small groups
- Suitable for FIT (Fully Independent Travelers)
- Reservation required
- Motorcoach parking available
- On site café/restaurant
- Washrooms on site
- Gift shop
This experience is part of Destination Canada’s Canadian Signature Experiences collection, which shows the world the best that Canada has to offer.