Masks are required while on board the ferry and when visiting indoor public spaces, including the tunnels.
There are two ways to visit Georges Island:
- Take the ferry to Georges Island with Murphy's on the Water
- Travel to the island by private boat, canoe, or kayak
Georges Island is located in the middle of Halifax Harbour.
Please note: Georges Island will be closed when the ferry to Georges Island is cancelled due to heavy rains or unsafe conditions for travel by boat.
Cancellations will be made by 9 pm the evening before (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
Before you travel, please confirm the island will be open:
- check the Murphy’s on the Water website, or
- call Parks Canada at 902-426-5080
There are three ways to book tickets for the ferry to Georges Island:
- visit the Murphy's on the Water website
- call Murphy's on the Water at 902-420-1015
- visit one of the Murphy's on the Water kiosk locations on the Halifax waterfront
If tickets are sold out, please check back for cancellations.
Ferry and admission fees
Your ticket includes ferry travel to and from the island and Parks Canada admission fees.
- Adult: $25
- Senior (65+): $22.60
- Youth (6-17): $14
- 5 & Under: Free
- Discovery Pass Holder: $14
- Family of 4 (2 kids not under 5): $72.75
About the ferry to Georges Island
Where do I board the ferry to Georges Island?
- The ferry to Georges Island is boarded at the Cable Wharf, 1751 Lower Water Street, Halifax.
What if I have a Parks Canada Discovery Pass?
- Enjoy a discount with your Parks Canada Discovery Pass!
- If you book the Discovery Pass Holder Rate for the Murphy’s on the Water ferry, please type your Discovery Pass number in the “notes” area of your reservation and have your pass available to present to staff when you arrive to board the vessel.
Do I have to buy tickets for a specific time/day?
- Advance booking is required to guarantee your space. Secure your reservation by booking a specific day, departure time, and tour.
How much time can I spend on the island?
- The Georges Island ferry ticket is designed as a flex ticket, allowing you an open-ended return time.
- You must book a departure time from the Cable Wharf, but your return time can be chosen based on availability for the return boat times.
Does the ferry operate in all weather?
- The ferry to Georges Island operates rain or shine.
- The ferry may be cancelled if there are unsafe conditions to travel by boat, such as high winds.
- Visitors will be notified with as much notice as possible in case of a cancellation and will be rebooked for a future departure or offered a refund.
Are smoking and vaping permitted on the ferry?
- Smoking and vaping of any kind are forbidden on all vessels.
Visitors arriving in private motorized vessels should dock in the designated areas of the wharf.
Visitors arriving in a canoe or kayak should dock along the shoreline in the designated area.
About the wharf
- Visitation is permitted ONLY during specified hours of operation.
- Visitors may dock with complimentary daytime berthing during Parks Canada hours of operation only, subject to availability.
- Please see signage at the wharf regarding available areas.
- Overnight berthing is not permitted.
- Daytime berthing is available through Develop Nova Scotia's marine program.
Marina Inquiries: Marina Office at email@example.com or 902-229-2628