New fall dates added! Georges Island National Historic Site is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 11:20 am to 5 pm, from August 8 to October 11, 2020.
Masks are required while on board the ferry and in the tunnels.
Georges Island is in the middle of Halifax Harbour. There are two ways to visit: take the ferry to Georges Island with Murphy's on the Water or travel to the island by private boat. The waterfront is a five-minute walk from the Via Rail station. Halifax is serviced by the Robert L Stanfield International Airport.
The ferry to Georges Island is boarded at the Cable Wharf, 1751 Lower Water Street, Halifax. Advance booking is required to guarantee your space. Secure your reservation by booking a specific day, time, and tour.
There are three ways to book tickets:
- visit the Murphy's on the Water website
- call Murphy's on the Water at 902-420-1015
- visit one of the Murphy's on the Water kiosk locations on the Halifax waterfront
Please note: you may find tickets are sold out. Please check back for cancellations or plan to visit in 2021.
Ferry and entrance fees
Your ticket includes ferry and entrance fees.
- Adult: $25
- Senior (65+): $22.60
- Youth (6-17): $14
- 5 & Under: Free
- Discovery Pass Holder: $14
- Family of 4 (2 kids not under 5): $72.75
What if I have a Parks Canada Discovery Pass?
- Enjoy a discount with your Parks Canada Discovery Pass!
- If you book the Discovery Pass Holder Rate for the Murphy’s on the Water ferry, please type your Discovery Pass number in the “notes” area of your reservation and have your pass available to present to staff when you arrive to board the vessel.
Do I have to buy tickets for a specific time/day?
- Advance booking is required to guarantee your space. Secure your reservation by booking a specific day, time, and tour.
How much time can I spend on the island?
- The Georges Island ferry ticket is designed as a flex ticket, allowing you an open-ended return time.
- You must book a departure time from the Cable Wharf, but your return time can be chosen based on availability for the return boat times.
Does the ferry operate in all weather?
- Murphy’s on the Water ferry operates rain or shine.
- The ferry may be cancelled if there are unsafe conditions to travel by boat, such as high winds.
- Visitors will be notified with as much notice as possible in case of a cancellation and will be rebooked for a future departure or offered a refund.
|Departure – Cable Wharf||Arrival – Georges Island||Departure – Georges Island||Arrival – Cable Wharf|
|11:20 am||11:30 am||11:40 am||11:50 am|
|12:00 pm||12:10 pm||12:20 pm||12:30 pm|
|12:40 pm||12:50 pm||1:00 pm||1:10 pm|
|1:20 pm||1:30 pm||1:40 pm||1:50 pm|
|2:00 pm||2:10 pm||2:20 pm||2:30 pm|
|2:40 pm||2:50 pm||3:00 pm||3:10 pm|
|3:20 pm||3:30 pm||3:40 pm||3:50 pm|
|4:00 pm||4:10 pm||4:20 pm||4:30 pm|
|5:10 pm||5:20 pm|
Your personal water craft is welcome on the island. Dock your boat on the wharf.
About the wharf
- Private boats may dock with complimentary daytime berthing during Parks Canada hours of operation only, subject to availability.
- Signage at the wharf indicates available areas.
- Daytime berthing is available through Develop Nova Scotia's marine program.
- Private boat visitation is permitted ONLY during specified hours of operation.
- Overnight berthing is not permitted.
Marina Inquiries: Marina Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-229-2628
Are dogs or other pets allowed on board the ferry and on the island?
- Pets or other animals are not permitted on board the Murphy’s on the Water ferry or on the island.
- Trained service and guide dogs are permitted.
How do I properly dispose of trash & recycling?
- Please pack in and pack out and leave no trash or recycling on the island.
What is your smoking and alcohol policy?
- Smoking, vaping, and alcohol of any kind are forbidden on Georges Island and on all vessels.
Is there anything available for sale on the island (such as food & drink)?
- There are no concession or retail outlets on the island.
- Please bring food and water (as required – see list below for other suggestions of what to bring).
- Some food, water, and other goods will be available for purchase onboard the vessel.
What should I bring to the island?
- Dress for the weather, as visits are rain or shine, and we suggest you bring:
- sturdy footwear (such as sneakers, hiking boots, etc.)
- food (as required)
- hand sanitizer
How accessible is Georges Island?
- Due to COVID-19 there are delays in delivery of accessible gangways / infrastructure and the development of the on-island program is still underway. As a result, the Georges Island experience for 2020 does not yet meet planned accessibility standards. All parties are working towards addressing these requirements as a priority and anticipate an improved program for 2021. The natural geography of the island and tidal impacts will always pose challenges and we are working hard to mitigate, where practical, to ensure that Georges Island is an experience that all can enjoy.