Overlooking St. John’s harbour and the Atlantic Ocean, Signal Hill National Historic Site of Canada is the city’s most visible and popular attraction. Designated nationally significant because of its important associations with Canada's defense and communications history, it provides panoramic views and seasonal military pageantry. It is also home to the iconic Cabot Tower.
- Signal Hill as been used for Defense since the 17th century, as well as observation and signalling since the early 1700s.
- Built between 1897 and 1901, the Cabot Tower is the city’s most iconic building and one of Canada’s top landmarks.
- Marconi’s first transatlantic communication in 1901 was the letter "S" in Morse code.
- The Signal Hill Tattoo spans 150 years of Newfoundland’s military history.
- Signal Hill hiking trails captivate visitors with panoramic views and historic storytelling.