Photograph of the west blockhouse of St. Andrews and a cow, around 1907.
The St. Andrews Blockhouse was once used as a private residence
© National Archives of Canada

The Blockhouse was also used periodically as a private residence. John Shannon, a retired soldier, moved into the Blockhouse in 1857, and lived there for over 30 years.

The wife of former New Brunswick premier, Sir Leonard Tilley, had also expressed interest in converting the building to a summer home in the 1880s.

By the turn of the century, a teahouse was built on the property.


Next part: Restoration activities