Creation of the national historic site
In 1919, the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada recommended that the ruins of Fort Cumberland be preserved, given their historic significance. An area of 59 acres was designated as a national historic site by the government in 1920. The original name, Beauséjour, was used and the area became one of the first historic sites in Canada.
The year 2020 marks Fort Beauséjour – Fort Cumberland’s 100th anniversary as a designated National Historic Site of Canada.
To highlight the site’s centennial, the fort’s staff is working on developing a new virtual exhibit of the fort’s memorabilia!
To help us capture the fort’s rich history, we’re inviting Canadians to dig into their souvenirs and memorabilia, and share their photos, post cards and/or stories with us as they relate to Fort Beauséjour – Fort Cumberland National Historic Site.
Contributions to the fort’s virtual exhibit will be featured on Parks Canada’s website and social media platforms, and should be sent to our staff via email at email@example.com for a contactless exchange.
Dr. John Clarence Webster was the first person to bring the historical significance of the Beauséjour-Cumberland region to the attention of the public and government officials. He was a surgeon and gynecologist of international renown who, after his retirement in 1919, lived in Shediac, his native town.
He devoted considerable energy to the identification and restoration of various historic sites in the Maritimes, including the fort at Beauséjour, the habitation at Port-Royal and the fortress at Louisbourg. He also founded the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John. Dr. Webster wrote numerous historical works on the Maritimes and was a member of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board from 1923 until his death in 1950. He became chairman of the Board in 1944.
Preserving the past
The Museum at Fort Beauséjour - Fort Cumberland was officially opened in 1936. The Webster wing, housing hundreds of artefacts collected by Dr. Webster in both New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, was opened in 1949.Next part: Archaeological digs