Film and photography
If you wish to visit Parks Canada places in person and undertake a film or photo shoot, you may require a film/photo permit, or you may simply need to register your project. This will depend on the scale of your project.
Do I need a film/photo permit or project registration?
Most small-scale projects only require project registration, rather than a film/photo permit. Your project is considered “small-scale” if your project meets all of the following criteria.
- Project is intended to inform audiences about the work of Parks Canada and/or to promote visitation to Parks Canada places.
- Crew size is of six people or fewer (including models or other talent).
- Equipment is limited to cameras, tripods, microphones, or other hand-held equipment.
- Activities remain in areas open to the public and during normal operating hours only.
- Adheres to all laws and regulations.
- No drones are used.
If you meet these criteria, fill out the Small-Scale Travel Media Film and Photo Project Registration form.
Registering your small-scale travel media film and photo project
- We recommend you register your shoot at least 20 business days in advance to avoid surprises in the rare case that your project poses operational challenges. Please note that registering your project does not exempt it from standard visitors’ fees; this decision remains at the site’s discretion.
- The guide to film/photo shoots at Parks Canada is available to assist you with conducting your film and photo activities. You may also contact the Parks Canada location where you plan to shoot for more specific inquiries.
If your project does not meet the criteria of a small-scale shoot, you must apply for a film/photo permit by contacting email@example.com. Fees may apply.
We look forward to working with you, and we’ll see you soon!
Small-scale travel media film and photo project registration
This project registration form is for small travel media crews that wish to film or take photos in Parks Canada locations. “Travel media” includes journalists, freelancers, photographers, videographers, bloggers and social media influencers. Your project must meet all of the criteria below to proceed with this project registration. It is strongly encouraged to register at least 20 business days prior to your proposed shoot start date.