Spend the night
If you like spending your nights under the stars you need look no further than our tent sites right here at the fort. Pitch your tent in our café yard and spend the night in 1896. Watch the sun set on the shores of Stuart Lake. You can be the first visitors on the site in the morning. We have dry tent camping at our location. Washrooms are available with flush toilets and sinks.
Bed and breakfast
Have a whole National Historic Site to yourself for the night. Stay in the luxurious Murray house [Officer’s Dwelling House] where the chief factor A.C. Murray and his family lived in 1896, or choose the Guest House [Staff House] where the packers and trappers stayed while doing business in the Fort. Guests are greeted by our friendly Parks Canada staff that will check you in to those heritage buildings for the night complete with HBC blankets and artifacts in all the rooms.
The site closes at 5 pm, but not for you. The Commemoration café is yours alone. Sit back and take in the stunning view down Stuart Lake while you enjoy a traditional dinner, from salmon or ribs to stew and bannock served by our costumed interpreters. In the morning you may awake to the sound of littlegoat hooves on the boardwalk or the crow of our rooster (who also lives in the Murray house) but fear not, freshly brewed coffee, sausages, pancakes and eggs await you for breakfast in the warm cozy cafe.
Important information for guests
- Open yearly June to September.
- The Murray House is limited to one group per night. Maximum occupancy is 5 people. Accommodations include two bedrooms with double beds and one twin bedroom.
- The Guest House maximum occupancy is 4 people with 4 single beds in 3 rooms.
- Reservations must be made 24 hrs in advance. Fort St. James National Historic Site also works with a 24 hour cancellation policy.
- Choose your dinner from our full menu when you book your stay with us.
- Luxury in 1896 did not include indoor plumbing. Showers and washroom facilities are available in separate buildings a short walk from the main sleeping quarters. Flashlights are included for those midnight jaunts.
- Check in time is 4 pm, when you will receive an introductory tour of your accommodations for the night.
- Please contact us for pricing