Note: Campfire ban in effect at Fort Rodd Hill. Propane fire pit available for oTENTik guests.
Escape to a historic retreat!
oTENTik camping experiences in Vancouver and Victoria, BC
Experience life within the fort’s walls as you fall asleep to the ocean and nature’s soothing sounds; and be taken back over 50 years ago when soldiers’ families inhabited Fort Rodd Hill during their summer camp-out.
The oTENTik tents, exclusive to Parks Canada, offer a unique blend of homey comfort and a taste of outdoor adventure. It’s a unique opportunity for visitors to enjoy camping with the comfort of a bed, inside the fort, already set up and ready to go.
Take advantage of the exclusive right to stay overnight in Canada’s best preserved west coast artillery fort!
Our oTENTik season runs from May 1 to October 06, 2022. Reservations for the 2022 season can be made starting at 8 am on January 18, 2022.
- Call 1-877-737-3783 or visit www.reservation.pc.gc.ca to reserve.
- Five oTENTik tents are available for accommodation. Each tent can accommodate up to six people.
- Check-in time: between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. at the main entrance kiosk
- Check-out time: 11 a.m.
- Be sure to check our special event schedule to see if your stay coincides with one of our exciting special events this season!
All reservation and accommodation fees are due at the time your reservation is created.
- Accommodation Fee: View fees list here
- Reservation Fee: View fees list here
- Historic Site Entry Fee: You will be required to have a valid entry pass to enter the sites. You can choose either daily entry passes or annual passes. There are several pricing models available to ensure you get the best value for your visit(s). Parks Canada Discovery Passes are valid.
- Methods of payment: Accommodation and reservation fees must be paid by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) at the time of the reservation. Entry fees may be paid by cash, credit card or institutional cheque.
While the Royal Canadian Navy soldiers would have been required to set up camp when arriving, we’ve done the work for you, no fuss no muss! Here is what is included with each oTENTik rental and what to bring.
Inside each tent:
- Sleeping area for up to six people
- A table with seating for up to six people
- Electricity and table lamp
- Cooking and serving equipment, dishes and utensils
- Broom and dustpan
- Fire extinguisher
- Deck of cards and board games
Outside the tent:
- Picnic table and lounge chairs
- A propane fire pit (propane included)
- Common service buildings with flush toilets and water taps
- Individual tabletop BBQs, camp stoves and accessories (propane included)
- Bear proof food storage lockers
- Free parking space for up to two vehicles (parking located outside the fort walls—100 metres)
- Overnight camp hosts who are able to assist with questions and/or emergencies
- Shower facilities are within a five-minute drive
- Medical clinic, restaurants and grocery store are all within a five-minute drive
What to bring (this list is not exhaustive):
- Sleeping bags, blankets and pillows
- Food and drinks (potable water available)
- Water container
- Slippers or indoor shoes
- Camping chairs
- Insect repellent
- First aid kit
- Cards, games, books, ball, Frisbee, etc.
Disabled access oTENTik (TENT #1 welcomes individuals with and without mobility restrictions):
- One fold-up cot in lieu of a single bed allows for more flexibility based on individual’s mobility and needs. This also allows for bed lifts to be used
- 15A electrical power
- 36” width door
- Entry door less than 1/2” lip at entry point
- Front deck of tent and deck railing expanded to 10’x8’
- 1:12 slope build to code ramp with wire mesh on deck for traction and two handrails
- 28” high wheelchair accessible port-a-potty on slab at end of ramp
- Double-ended picnic table
Note: Cooking is not permitted inside the tent
- Food available for purchase from local cafés or fast food restaurants
- BBQ your own dinner or dine out at nearby restaurants
- Cooking and eating is only permitted outside the tent
- Roasting sticks available
- Responsible use of alcohol is permitted between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. within your camping area
Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites offer many activities to keep you busy and having fun!
Within the fort:
- Explore the fort and step inside the oldest lighthouse on Canada’s west coast
- Learn more about these historic sites during the scheduled interpretive programs or with an audio tour
- Feel the thrill as you try to hit the target in our Airsoft Challenge
- Participate in one of our many special events
- Play with the state-of-the-art navigational video game at the lighthouse
- Go bird and wildlife watching
- Go for walks
- Explore the three beaches
- Practice your photography
Your camp host will introduce themselves the first night of your stay and provide a brief orientation to the site and the surrounding area. They will then be available throughout the rest of your stay for questions and in case of emergency.
Attractions and places to visit within a few minutes' walk or drive:
- Castles and art galleries
- Playgrounds and element parks
- Nature trails and regional parks
- Lakes, lagoons and beaches
- Bird sanctuary and tidal pools
- Farmers’ markets and cafés
In addition to the Historic Site’s rules and regulations, Parks Canada oTENTik users must abide by the following:
- A minimum of one adult per oTENTik must be at least 19 years of age.
- For your safety and the safety of the local wildlife, no food preparation, food or drink storage, eating, drinking, or cooking is allowed inside the tent. Please store all food and related items in your vehicle or the food storage locker provided during your stay.
- Smoking is not permitted on this site. This includes the use of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, vaping and e-cigarettes. Smoking is permitted only in the parking lot.
- Pets are not permitted within the tents or within the Fort.
- Quiet time (curfew) is from 10 pm to 7 am.
- Only the use of personal headphones is allowed for listening to music in the fort.
- Campfires are not permitted. Please use only the propane fire pit provided.
- You must collect your garbage and leave it in the receptacles designed for that purpose.