Prepare for your field trip
Before the visit
- If you have booked the Platoon Challenge tour, please arrange your students into groups (maximum six per group) before arriving. Students will be completing a series of challenges in these groups.
- Ensure students are dressed for the weather, including outdoor footwear. Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites are located by the ocean; it is often much colder here, due to strong ocean winds. Our programs run rain or shine.
- Please make nametags for your students that they can wear during the program (sticky labels work well). Nametags will help our interpreters personalize the program to your students.
- Ask our staff about other experiences to extend your stay, such as our overnight programs. The oTENTik tents, exclusive to Parks Canada, offer a unique blend of homey comfort and a taste of outdoor adventure. It’s an opportunity for visitors to enjoy camping with the comfort of a bed, inside the fort, in a shelter that is already set up and ready to go. Visit our oTENTik page for more information on fees and bookings the oTENKiks.
- Check in 15 minutes prior to your scheduled program time.
- Allow students to have a snack outside the front kiosk, as there are no breaks during the 1.5 hour program.
- At this time, confirm the final number of adults and children in your group and bring your payment to the front kiosk to check in with us.
- Our staff will give you and the chaperones a brief orientation. Chaperones and teachers are expected to be available for their students at all times. Please assist us in delivering the best possible experience for your students: Be active listeners, silence cell phones, and if you must take a call or converse with other parents, please step away from the group prior to starting your conversation.
Washrooms and lunch facilities
- There are washrooms located on site, outside the front kiosk and inside the Fort walls.
- There is no food or drink available for purchase on site. There is, however, a water fountain. Please ensure all group members bring a lunch or eat beforehand.
- Picnic areas are available near our parking lot and inside the Fort. There are no indoor eating areas.
After the program
- If you would like to stay on the site after your program is completed, ensure that an adult chaperones the group at all times.
- Instruct your students to be respectful of the public and other school groups. Emphasize to your group that they cannot climb or stand on old fort walls or buildings.