Plan your visit
A beautiful 100 km drive southwest of Calgary on Highway 22 (also known as The Cowboy Trail) will have you in the heart of Alberta’s ranch land. The Bar U Ranch National Historic Site sprawls over 148 hectares and is accessed by horse-drawn wagon or on foot. It’s a working ranch so wear proper footwear. Plan at least a half day to relax and enjoy the ranch. Bar U Ranch is open May to September.
PO Box 168
Longview Alberta T0L 1H0
Bar U Ranch National Historic Site is located approximately 95 km (59 miles) south of Calgary on Highway 22, 13 km (8 miles) south of Longview. From Calgary, go south on Highway 2, then west on Highway 540, cross over Highway 22 and continue west for approximately half a kilometer.
Hours of operation
May 17 to September 30, 2021.
Daily, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Facilities and services
- Size: 148.43 hectares (367 acres).
- Features: original ranch headquarters situated along Pekisko Creek, consisting of 35 historic structures and visitor centre.
- Maintains livestock including saddle horses, draft horses and a cow/calf operation.
- Located in Foothills County where agriculture remains a major economic engine.
- The area is home to an abundance of wildlife including mule deer, whitetail deer, moose, elk, coyotes, wolves, cougars, black bears and grizzly bear.
- Pekisko Creek is an important trout spawning stream and tributary to some renowned fly fishing rivers.