The Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal
A Lock on a Waterway
Situated at the western tip of the Island of Montréal, across from Perrot Island, the Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal has a lock that enables vessels to negotiate the one metre difference in water level between the basins of Lake Saint-Louis and Lake of Two Mountains.
The Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Canal represents a gateway to the Ottawa River. With the Carillon, Rideau and St. Lawrence canals, it is part of a “boating triangle” linking Montréal, Ottawa and Kingston.
© Parks Canada / Photo: Robert Piette / neg. 154/PA/PR6/S-01-1
The Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue canal has been used by vessels entering the Ottawa River since 1843, when it was constructed as an alternative to an earlier, private lock at Vaudreuil. The navigation facilities subsequently built at Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue kept pace with the development of shipping traffic, and today the site possesses numerous resources and remains dating from the 19th and 20th centuries. With the recent surge in pleasure boating, the place has become an area known for its recreational qualities as well as its heritage value.