< Old Slys Lockstation   Detached Lockstation >
Smiths Falls Combined Lockstation
Smiths Falls Combined Lockstation is a complex site that has been adapted to modern needs. The construction of a high level road bridge led to the closure of the original three locks in flight (on the left) and the installation of a single modern lock (to the right).
© Parks Canada

96,6 km – 96,8 km

Smiths Falls Combined Lockstation consists of the three original locks, which were taken out of service in 1974, and a single replacement hydraulic lock. The original locks are located on the south side of the river and the new lock is located about 10 m to their north. This location at Smiths Falls underwent significant engineering modification during the construction of the canal. The original course of the river was blocked with a stone arch dam, which is located on the north shore of the river, and an entirely new river channel was established.

Cultural Resources

Three original locks – The flight of three locks has a combined lift of 7,9 m, 1830. CRM1.

Replacement single chamber lock – A hydraulic/electric concrete lock with a lift of 7,9 m, 1974.

Stone arch dam – The stone arch dam is 91,44 m long and 7 m high, 1830. CRM1.

Defensible lockmaster’s house – A one-storey stone building, 1841. A frame second storey was added in 1900. CRM1.

Canalman’s house – A frame two-storey building, built as living quarters for canal operators, 1953. FHB.

Storage shed – A long frame structure, 1935. FHB.

A second storey and an addition were added to the defensible lockmaster's house.
A second storey and an addition were added to the defensible lockmaster’s house. It now serves as offices for conservation organizations.
© Parks Canada
A second storey and an addition were added to the defensible lockmaster’s house.
The first of the three original locks; the river beyond leads to Old Slys. The building in the foreground served as living quarters for canal workers and the long shed was used for boat storage.
© Parks Canada

Smiths Falls Combined Lockstation to Detached Lockstation

 

A short slackwater section
A short slackwater section leads from Smiths Falls Combined to the excavated channel and Detached Lockstation. The walkway on the right crosses a dam. The river branches off to the right.
© Parks Canada

96,8 km – 97,1 km

This section of the canal is a large elongated basin created by the construction of the stone arch dam associated with Combined Lockstation.

 

Image 2 Looking west to Detached Lockstation from the conserved flight of three locks. A timber coffer dam prevents the water from flooding the original stone masonry locks.






 

 

Detached Lockstation
Looking west to Detached Lockstation from the conserved flight of three locks. A timber coffer dam prevents the water from flooding the original stone masonry locks.
© Parks Canada


< Old Slys Lockstation   Detached Lockstation >