< Long Island Lockstation   Nicholsons Lockstation >

Burritts Rapids lock
Burritts Rapids lock is at the east end of a long excavated channel built to bypass a set of shallows and rapids, now inundated by ‘The Long Reach’ slackwater section.
© Parks Canada

64,4 km – 66,9 km

Burritts Rapids Lockstation is located at the eastern end of ‘The Long Reach’. At this location, the natural river formed a long chain of rapids. To bypass these, it was necessary to excavate a 2,5-km channel. As a result, a long narrow island was created, which is now the site of the historic village of Burritts Rapids (population 400). At the western tip of the island, a spillway dam and weir span the river channel, creating a slackwater section to Nicholsons Lockstation.

Cultural Resources

One lock – One manually operated lock with a lift of 2,7 m, 1830. CRM1.

Spillway dam – A reinforced concrete structure measuring 63,4 m in length, 1951. CRM2.

Weir – A weir with two bays, 1930. CRM2.

Swing bridge – A manually operated unequal arm, through-truss steel bridge supported on masonry abutments, 1897. CRM2.

Dam ruins – The remnants of the original dam, immediately downstream from the spillway dam. CRM2.

The upper approach to Burritts Rapids lock
The upper approach to Burritts Rapids lock. Recreational use of the canal includes an increasing number of paddlers.
© Parks Canada

Burritts Rapids Lockstation to Nicholsons Lockstation

( Upper and Lower )

66,9 km – 69,4 km

A 2,5-km slackwater section of varying width, created by the spillway dam at Burritts Rapids.

Manually operated swing bridge
Vessels sailing to Lower Nicholsons pass between the impressive stone abutments of the manually operated swing bridge at the Burritts Rapids Lockstation.
© Parks Canada

 

< Long Island Lockstation   Nicholsons Lockstation >