< Ottawa Lockstation   Hogs Back Lockstation >

6,7 km – 6,9 km

Hartwells Lockstation consists of a flight of two locks set into the flank of a rise of ground. It is on the excavated channel, approximately halfway between Dows Lake and Mooneys Bay.

Cultural Resources

Two locks – Manually operated locks in flight, each with a lift of 3,4 m, 1830. CRM1.

Defensible lockmaster’s house – A single-storey stone house, 1841. A second storey was added in 1905. CRM1.

Storehouse – A frame one-and-a-half-storey building, 1937. CRM2.

Lockman’s house – A frame one-and-a-half storey building, 1920. FHB.

Stoplog weir – A reinforced concrete structure, 1904.

The defensible lockmaster's house at Hartwells
The defensible lockmaster’s house at Hartwells, with the waste sluice tunnel in the foreground.
© Parks Canada

Two locks in flight are situated in the excavated channel
Two locks in flight are situated in the excavated channel. There is no dam, but a sluice that allows excess water to bypass the locks is visible in the lower right of the photograph.
© Parks Canada
Two locks in flight are situated in the excavated channel
An aerial view showing the excavated channel leading to Hogs Back Lockstation and the turning basin just beyond the locks at Hartwells.
© Parks Canada

Hartwells Lockstation to Hogs Back Lockstation

6,9 km – 8,4 km

Hartwells and Hogs Back lockstations are connected by a 1,5-km excavated channel.
An interesting feature is the 1830 turning basin, located on the west side of the channel, immediately south of Hartwells Lockstation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The final stretch of the excavated channel
The final stretch of the excavated channel as seen from Hogs Back Lockstation looking north.
© Parks Canada

< Ottawa Lockstation   Hogs Back Lockstation >