General view of a building
General view
© Parks Canada / J. Butterill, 1995

Apothecaries Hall was designated a national historic site in May 1969.

Commemorative plaque: on the Hughes Drug Company Building 150 Queen Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

On December 24, 1810, Thomas Desbrisay Jr. opened an apothecary shop on this site. In 1874 George E. Hughes bought Apothecaries Hall and operated it under the title of "Apothecaries Hall - Hughes Drug Co. Ltd." The original building was replaced by the present brick structure in 1900. It is one of the oldest continually operated pharmacies in Canada.

Heritage Value:

Apothecaries Hall was designated a national historic site of Canada because from 1810 to 1986 an apothecary shop was operated on this site, making it one of the oldest continually operated pharmacies in Canada.

The heritage value of this site resides in its historical association with one of Canada’s longest operating pharmacies and the building’s physical elements that accommodated that function.

Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minute, May 1969

Character-Defining Elements:

Key elements that contribute to the heritage value of this site include: its corner site its rectangular, three-storey massing under a flat roof, its large retail windows at ground level its corner entry, its banded brick facing with decorative brick cornice, original interior elements including wood detailing and tin ceiling.

Far view of a building
General view
© Parks Canada / J. Butterill, 1995
Architectural details of a building's roof
Architectural details
© Parks Canada / J. Butterill, 1995

The National Program of Historical Commemoration relies on the participation of Canadians in the identification of places, events and persons of national historic significance. Any member of the public can nominate a topic for consideration by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.

Get information on how to participate in this process