Indigenous Cultural Heritage Advisory Council
The Indigenous Cultural Heritage Advisory Council (ICHAC) provides advice to Parks Canada on cultural heritage-related projects or initiatives*, with the goal of advancing reconciliation and supporting the Agency in managing the heritage places in its care in the spirit of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
The Council advises Parks Canada on policy, programs and initiatives related to history and heritage, including presentation of history at sites managed by Parks Canada, designations and commemorations, archaeology, collections and repatriation, and the management of cultural resources.
*Cultural heritage-related projects or initiatives refers to the presentation of history at sites managed by Parks Canada, designation and commemoration, archaeology, collections and repatriation, management of cultural resources, and related programs or initiatives.
The Council is made up of eight (8) Indigenous representatives (including a representative from Indigenous Heritage Circle and supported by Parks Canada through a secretariat function. The secretariat function sits with the Executive Director, Cultural Heritage, Parks Canada.
Members of ICHAC 2020 - 2022
- Andrew Carrier, Métis, Manitoba
- Belinda Webb, Inuit, Northern Labrador
- Catherine C. Cole, Métis, Alberta
- Herman J. Michell, Barren Lands First Nation, Saskatchewan
- Karen Aird, Saulteau FN, Treaty 8 territory, BC
- Karine Duhamel, Anishinaabe & Métis, Manitoba
- Lisa Prosper, Mi’kmaq, Ontario and Yukon
- Louis Lesage, Huron Wendat First Nation, Québec
The ICHAC acts as an advisory body on cultural heritage to Parks Canada. The members were selected as the result of an open call for expressions of interest.
Members of ICHAC contribute their experience and expertise to the work of the Council independently and not on behalf of any particular association, political body, firm or other organization to which they may belong.
Parks Canada continues to engage with other Indigenous peoples, communities and organizations on various files, as appropriate.
Parks Canada Secretariat
- Patricia Kell, Executive Director, Cultural Heritage, Parks Canada
- Dena Rozon, Communications and Engagement Advisor
Should you have questions or comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.