As the First Peoples of Canada, First Nations, Metis and Inuit have sacred places of great cultural and spiritual importance across this land. Today, Parks Canada is fortunate to work with over 300 Indigenous partners and communities to protect many of these special places and share their stories.
Watch and listen to some of these stories in this series of videos for National Indigenous Peoples Day 2020.
- Indigenous ecological knowledge
- Guardian and Watchmen programs
- Métis identity and voice: video series
- Working together: Our stories
- Learn more about working together
- Call for Applications: Indigenous Cultural Heritage Advisory Council
- Mapping Change: Fostering a Culture of Reconciliation within Parks Canada
Together, Parks Canada and Indigenous partners work cooperatively to ensure access to traditional lands and waters for cultural activities and ceremonies.
Sitting at the same table, Indigenous knowledge guides the management of Canada’s heritage places and programs. This work is based on respect for Indigenous rights and our treaty relationships and understanding of the history that shapes our national parks and national historic sites.