Outdoor fun at the top of the lake
© Parks Canada
By Sylvio (Hoss) Pelletier
Winter has come and gone leaving us with many great memories. Snow conditions and temperatures this year were perfect for enjoying the outdoors and hopefully you found time to get out for some winter fun. We are excited about another summer season packed with community events to get you outdoors and having fun along the top of Lake Superior.
Whether you enjoy ice fishing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling or other fun outdoor activities (or maybe a trip south for an all inclusive vacation) this past winter was ideal for all of the above!
At the soon to be established Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area, stories have been told of the fine catches of perch in Black Bay and whitefish and herring in Nipigon Bay. The Red Rock Ice Fishing Derby was a big hit with several fine fish caught, too. Skiing to the Spec Islands and snowshoeing along the coast were both great ways to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the lake. Ice conditions were great for snowmobilers who love to cruise the lake or access their favourite fishing spots. Even hardy surfers took advantage of the open water and big waves in Terrace Bay for a different kind of winter fun.
Winter is a beautiful time on the north shore of Lake Superior, and summer is a great time to participate in the many special events offered in communities adjacent to the national marine conservation area. Many community volunteers work hard every year to celebrate the uniqueness of this special place with amazing events and activities. Events are a great way for you and your family to make the most of the summer season. Parks Canada staff work with community residents and organizations to have a presence at many of the events hosted along the North of Superior shoreline. If you see our booth or staff at one of the events listed below, come talk with us!
Have a safe summer and happy boating, fishing, swimming or whatever you choose to do in and around the greatest of the Great Lakes!
- 12 Nipigon Kids Fish Derby
- 26-27 Dorion Canyon Country Birding Festival
- 2 Nipigon Bio Blitz
- 2-3 Red rock 16th Annual Lake Trout Fishing Tournament
- 17-19 Red Rock Kids Fish Derby
- 21-24 Rossport Sea Kayaking Symposium
- 1 Canada Day Celebrations
- 20-22 Red Rock Indian Band Pow Wow
- 15 Lake Superior Day Celebrations
- 15-22 Schreiber Heritage Days
- 27-29 Pays Plat First Nation Pow Wow
- 29-Aug 4 SUNORA Sailing Regatta
- 3-6 Nipigon Blueberry Blast
- 10-12 Live from the Rock Folk Festival
- 24 Terrace Bay Lighthouse Street Festival
- 31-Sept 3 Nipigon Fall Fishing Festival
© Parks Canada