How to apply for jobs
- Create your profile at GC Jobs.
- Set up alerts. (When a job match comes up, you will get an email.)
- Log in to your account and apply.
When you apply through the site:
- You can find information about skills to include in your cover.
- You can keep improving your cover letter and resume right up to the closing date for the job.
- You don’t need to keep copies of your resume. They are saved in the system and can be updated as needed.
- You can check the status of your application at any time.
- Check the
“Who can apply”section to be sure you can apply.
- Check the Closing date.
- If there is a questionnaire on the poster, provide answers to the questions in your cover letter.
- The way you write is often evaluated. Make sure you use proper spelling and grammar.
- Resumes are only used to validate the education and experience you describe in your cover letter.
- The best way to set up your cover letter is to copy the education and experience criteria and use them as headings in your cover letter.
- Write about every experience listed on the poster.
- Explain how your skills match what the heading is asking for. Use real examples and provide details.
- Specify how long ago you did the work and the number or years that you did it.
- If the poster uses the words “significant” or “recent,” make sure you read how long they are asking for and how far back you can provide examples from.
- If you leave out anything they are looking for (i.e. education or experience), you may not be called for an interview.
- It is a good idea to have someone read over your cover letter and resume before you send it.