Sainte-Anne / Port Dauphin National Historic Site of Canada
Englishtown, Nova Scotia
(© Place Holder)
Highway 312, Englishtown, Nova Scotia
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Sainte-Anne / Port Dauphin
Existing plaque: 170m south of Englishtown Ferry Highway 312, Englishtown, Nova Scotia
Settled, 1629, by Captain Charles Daniel, and site of an early Jesuit mission. Selected in 1713, as a naval base and one of the principal places in Isle Royale, named Port Dauphin and strongly fortified. Its importance declined with the choice, 1719 of Louisbourg as the capital.