Fort St. John National Historic Site of Canada

Taylor, British Columbia
Image not available. (© Parks Canada, 2011.)
Image not available.
(© Parks Canada, 2011.)
Address : Taylor, British Columbia

Recognition Statute: Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Designation Date: 1958-05-27

Other Name(s):
  • Fort St. John  (Designation Name)

Plaque(s)


Existing plaque: BC Lookout Point at mile 32 on the Alaska Highway Taylor, British Columbia

Following Mackenzie's explorations, the North West Company established several trading posts between Dunvegan and Hudson Hope. Fort St. John, built first in 1806 at the junction of the Peace and Beatton Rivers, was later moved to various sites along the Peace. The post was taken over by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1821 and after an Indian raid in 1823 was abandoned for thirty-seven years. The most recent post, established in 1925, gave its name to the townsite of Fort St. John.