Fort à la Corne National Historic Site of Canada
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Plaque image - location
© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, n.d.
Saskatchewan River Bank, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
1753 to 1932
Event, Person, Organization:
Louis de la Corne
North West Company
Hudson's Bay Company
Fort à la Corne
Fort St. Louis
Research Report Number:
Existing plaque: Memorial Park Main Street and Dixon Road, Kinistino, Saskatchewan
This region was important in the fur trade from the time that Louis de la Corne built Fort St. Louis, the most westerly of the French posts, near here in 1753. The area was occupied in the 1770' s by independent Canadian traders and, after 1794, by the North West Company's Fort St. Louis and the competing Hudson's Bay Comapany's Carlton House. The site was abandoned in 1805, but about 1846 the Hudson's Bay Company re-established a post, naming it Fort à la Corne. This post was moved slightly up-river in 1887 and closed in 1932.
The Fort à la Corne National Historic Site of Canada was designated in 1926 because: it was the most westerly of the French posts, the area was an important fur trading centre, occupied by independent traders, the North West Company and, until 1932, the Hudson’s Bay Company.
Sources: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, 1926, 2010.