Fort William National Historic Site of Canada

Thunder Bay, Ontario
Location of plaque commemorating the national historic site Fort William © Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2007
Location of plaque
© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2007
Location of plaque commemorating the national historic site Fort William © Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2007Close-up view of the plaque for the national historic site. © Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 1989
Address : corner of McNaughton and McTavish Streets, Thunder Bay, Ontario

Recognition Statute: Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Designation Date: 1968-11-28
Dates:
  • 1679 to 1679 (Established)

Event, Person, Organization:
  • North West Company  (Organization)
Other Name(s):
  • Fort William  (Designation Name)
  • Fort Kaministiquia  (Other Name)
Research Report Number: 1967-035, 1968-029, 2010-CED-SDC-007

Plaque(s)


Existing plaque: CPR railyard corner of McNaughton and McTavish Streets, Thunder Bay, Ontario

When the boundary settlement of 1783 placed its major inland depot, Grand Portage, in U.S. territory, the North West Company was forced to seek a new site on British soil. Following the reopening of the Keministikwia route a new post, later named for William McGillivray, the principal Montréal agent, was constructed here at the river's mouth. Here each summer from 1803 to 1821 the Montréal and wintering partners held council, while trade goods were readied for the Indian country and furs brought down for shipment to Montréal. After 1821, changed supply patters led to Fort William's gradual decline.