Fort Simpson National Historic Site of Canada

Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories
Plaque, 2017 (© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2011.)
HSMBC Plaque, 2017
(© Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2011.)
Address : Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories

Recognition Statute: Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
Designation Date: 1969-05-08

Other Name(s):
  • Fort Simpson  (Designation Name)

Plaque(s)


Existing plaque: overlooking the MacKenzie River Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories

The junction of the Liard and Mackenzie Rivers has always been important in the spiritual life of the Dene. This meeting place became a focus for the fur trade in the Deh Cho Region. In 1804 the North West Company built Fort of the Forks nearby; the Hudson's Bay Company built Fort Simpson in 1822. Dene people from the Liard and Mackenzie valleys, the mountains to the west, and Lac La Martre traded here regularly. Their descendants make up the present Dene and Métis population. Pope John Paul II's visit here in 1987 celebrated the continued spiritual significance of the rivers' junction.

Original Plaque:  Northwest Territories