Chandler House / Rocklyn National Historic Site of Canada
Dorchester, New Brunswick
(© Parks Canada Agency/ Agence Parcs Canada, 1980.)
5000 Main Street, Dorchester, New Brunswick
Historic Sites and Monuments Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. H-4)
1831 to 1831
1831 to 1890
Event, Person, Organization:
Edward Barron Chandler
Chandler House / Rocklyn
Research Report Number:
Original Plaque: 5000 Main Street, Dorchester, New Brunswick
This Classical Revival house was built for Edward Barron Chandler (1800-1880) about 1831. A hipped slate roof tops the ashlar structure. Rustication on the first story wall contrasts with the smooth face above. Triglyphs and fluted door columns enrich the handsome portico. "Rocklyn" remained Chandler's property throughout his long career in public office - as judge, member of the legislative assembly and subsequently government leader, Father of Confederation, railroad commissioner, and finally as lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick.
Description of Historic Place
Chandler House / Rocklyn National Historic Site of Canada is located in the town of Dorchester, New Brunswick. Built in 1831 in the Classical Revival style, this well-proportioned, two-storey, five bay house has a worked stone exterior and a low, hipped roof flanked by high stone chimneys. The front door is approached through an open porch with a pediment and columns. Official recognition refers to the building on its legal lot at the time of designation.
Chandler House / Rocklyn was designated a national historic site of Canada because: this Classical Revival house was built for Father of Confederation Edward Barron Chandler and remained his property throughout his long career in public office.
The heritage value resides in theClassical Revival style of the house. Fine touches in the design of the building include the considered proportions, the manner in which the pediment on the porch repeats the angle of the hipped slate roof, and in the rusticated walls on the ground floor, which contrast with the smooth ashlar facing above. Triglyphs and fluted columns enrich the handsome wooden portico, set on a stone base. This classically inspired design, with its fine detailing and use of durable materials reflect the social and economic position of Edward Barron Chandler, a leading position in mid-nineteenth century Atlantic Canada.
Sources: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, May 1971; Plaque Text, June 1976.
Key elements that contribute to the heritage character of the site include: its location in Dorchester, east of the Petitcodiac River; its landscaped setting on the Chandler property with lawns and trees; the rectangular massing under a low hipped roof; the masonry construction material detailed on the main façade with rustication on the ground floor and smooth ashlar above; the five-bay, symmetrically arranged façade with classically detailed and pedimented portico; the typical Classical Revival fenestration with double-hung six-over-six windows flanking the central bay with its tripartite upper window and door with sidelights and fanlight; the centre-hall plan; the fine interior detailing, including the interior casement shutters, recessed shelved cupboards, original fireplace mantles, and fine mouldings of the reception rooms and hallway.